Blogging with Summer Institute 2008

Sharing Writing and Reflections

Tech Preparation for Tech Community Reading Discussion

July 29, 2008 by blk1 · 16 Comments · Tech Pieces, Tech Sessions, VIdeos

Time for a Tech Isearch:

1. Dig into the Sidebar links on the right: There are articles, blogs,etc. Enjoy and report back to us in the comments section below and then we can talk. You have some paper articles as well.

2. What’s happened to your tech literacy this month? How can we support you in the future?

Share as comments below

Here’s a video to begin with:

[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/_A-ZVCjfWf8" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]

Tags: ·

16 Comments so far ↓

• mmaloy

This video just really confirmed to me the powerful use of technology in the classroom and how the students can really be engaged in the learning process through the use of technology. Technology is something that most students are exposed to and use everyday. Why not use it to help them learn?

• gjsi08

I just read the article – So young, so gadgeted. While I agreedthat we do now live in a more technological world, I have to totally disagree with one of the statements referring to cell phones being more or less mandatory for a 12 year old. I understand the need for parents to know where their children are at all times, but 12 still seems so young of an age to create a dependance on a cell phone. The article also says cell phones can be used as a “social advantage”. I guess I must be very out of touch with the social life of a 12 year old. At the risk of sounding like my mother I’ll just add that I didn’t have a cell phone until I was out of college and I had a perfectly good social life!

As a parent, I found the article very interesting and it offered some great suggestions to gadgets that are age appropriate. Glad I picked this one.

• tcsi08

So Young, and So Gadgeted by Warren Buckleitner
    This is a great article for educators and parents alike. I believe today’s children are “technology natives” and adults tend to be “technology immigrants”. This article discussed the importance of introducing technology to children at appropriate times, while considering Jean Piaget’s child development theory. It discusses the cognitive level of children at varying ages from the sensorimotor stage of 0-2 years through formal operations of 12 years and up. It gives a brief description what each stage looks like, the cognitive ability of a child at that stage and the skills needed for development. It also takes it a step further and offers a meaningful ‘gadget’ or piece of technology that one could purchase for a child that would be most beneficial for a child at that stage and cognitive level. It also discusses the importance of using the best tool in an effective way. It states these devices should be used to “supplement rather than replace real experiences”. I am reminded of the importance of having an understanding of a child’s cognitive development , whether you are a parent or an educator. I am also thinking about the implications of not balancing the use of technology and authentic real life experiences that children undoubtedly need.
    Great article. Great tips. Great gadgets.

• jgsi08

Following the Lucas Educational Foundation link, I started to read an article about a STEM grant but decided that I was not going to get very far with it…
    So I thought about research based decisions in education. I wondered what the Connected Mathematics Program (CMP) did to convince the National Science Foundation (NSF) to fund them. The CMP presents an alternate way of teaching math to G6-G9 engaging the students in vast amounts of reading, writing and other forms of communicating and representing. So I refer you to what the CMP believe research in the cognitive science provides as justification for their pedagogical approach to teaching mathematics:
    http://connectedmath.msu.edu/rnd/theory.html
    It all “simply” has to do with the theories of social constructivism and the influences of discourse on learning!

• Mary Sawyer

I read “So Young and So Gageted.” My children are now 13 and 15 years, so I was well attuned to the article’s contents. (Especially about my new literacy skill in reading phone bills!) I would like to emphasize an important point the article makes: Please emphasize real experiences over digital versions. I would hold off technology for as long as possible. (I suggest waiting until the child is begging for a certain gadget before purchasing it. ) Teach kids that the world is much bigger than their screens. Just as I held off “real reading” in favor of sharing and laughing over stories, Ialso held off gadgets. (It pains me to see parents pointed to the print and sounding out words for 2 and 3-year olds. Reading is so much more than sounding out words. ) My children still hear me critique gadgets and technology–which I also think it important. They see me using technology…but they also see me turning it off and explaining why I’m turning it off.

• Lilah

I just read the article “So young, so gadgeted” and find myself deeply interested and simultaneously deeply concerned. It’s fascinating to think of Piaget’s research in the context of age-appropriate technology for our youngsters but considering the statistics of how much time our kids seem to be “plugged in and tuned out” in addition to what I am observing in my own life of young children and their habits of behavior, I wonder how much they are able to effectively balance the force of technology in their lives with “real” life experiences.

Call me crazy or old-fashioned at this ripe old age of 29, but I believe the “richest” experiences in life are the ones that are truly experiential – the ones that are truly lived and not experienced from behind a keyboard. I believe in the (I dare to say) slowly dying culture of socializing with the people who we share and inhabit the earth with, in face-to-face encounters. I worry about our culture’s ability to effectively balance all of these conflicting forces, particularly young children.

This is not to say that I don’t see the necessary and enjoyable value in technology for people of all ages, but I can’t help but see what’s creeping in and profoundly changing our culture. The article cautions parents that electronic devices should be used to “supplement rather than replace real experiences,” and encourages them to “make sure there’s an overall sense of balance” in activities during this stage of life. I agree. And now… I’m going to sit in this dark computer lab and spend some time looking into the new Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for the Nintendo DS because I’m interested in how it exercises reading skills.

-Lilah

• Lilah

Write on, Mary!

• jgsi08

Was just reading a report about the book “Writing to Learn Mathematics ,” Joan Countryman, Head of Lincoln School in Providence, Rhode Island.
    http://mathforum.org/~sarah/Discussion.Sessions/Countryman.html

What would a book with the title “Doing Mathematics (or Science) to Learn Writing” read like?

The other day I heard one of us say that a math director had stated that he would have his teaching make their math students write as soon as the English teacher had their student solve equations. Or something similar to that. We all agree that that is just profound stupidity, but perhaps “creative writing” could help SS, Math and the Science by engaging students in writing creatively about topics similar to the book “The Number Devil”
    http://www.maa.org/mathhorizons/supplement/mai_Devil.htm
    or about the ecology, like in “Changes in the Land”
    http://www.ecobooks.com/books/changes.htm

• Mary Sawyer

where is lilah’s comment??? In Pluto?

• cwsi08

Teachers at Risk is an excellent site for all teachers, especially special educators who want info on behavior modification, learning strategies, differentiation, etc. Thoughts and fears about using technology hit home for me. There are some really fantastic links here also! Wish I had discovered this earlier….

• kbsi08

I really liked the way the author of So Young and So Gadgeted paired technology tools/choices with Piaget’s four stages of child development. It can help me as a teacher contemplate appropriate technology choices, and as a parent, look more closely at the on-line activities of my teenagers. In my primary teacher role, however, I would really like my students to experience nature and “real life” much more often than visiting “virtual worlds”.

• bcsi08

I devote one class for the preservice teachers on using technology for ELA instruction. I can’t even begin to tell you how much I’ve learned in the last 9 months thanks to Bonnie, Steve, Katelin, and the HVWP (digital stories, blogging, wikis). Today I spent some time viewing the links and articles on this blog and then transferring them to my wikispace so I can share them with my students this semester. For example, I loved the 5th grader’s blog. What a great discussion piece for my students. I only hope they can be as inspired as I am.
    THANKS!!!

• Paulette

This YouTube video is so powerful. It ties in perfectly with the 21st Century Learning article. Here are a few points that spoke to me –

* I am undermining job security in that computers could replace teachers. To that I respond, if you can be replaced by a computer then you probably should be! The truth is that technology will never replace teachers, however teachers who know how to use technology effectively to help their students connect and collaborate together online will replace those who do not.

* Teachers will need to accept the fact that even with all we have invested, the pace of change is going to demand us to unlearn and relearn.

* teachers need to be driving these discussions and this change- not policy makers. However, it will require you to redefine yourself. It will require you to unlearn and relearn which means an implementation dip in terms of personal power and knowledge– but oh well, you are in this for kids remember? This will be messy, but you can’t give away what you do not own. You have to own these tools and concepts before you can give them (empower) your students with them. However, once you do- get out of the way and let them show you all the ways to use them to learn that you never dreamed possible.

* Professor Calvert reminds parents that electronic devices should be used to “supplement rather than replace real experiences,” and encourages them to “make sure there’s an overall sense of balance” in activities

Think of ourselves and encourage others to refine themselves. Solidarity, Brother (brotherhood of educators)!

• slsi08

I’m in that overload zone that occurs from too much internet browsing. I’ve looked at several articles, visited several sites, and now have a mind stuffed full of bits of information that I found interesting but may never find again! What I jotted down in my notebook to definitely revisit: del.icio.us — as a way of keeping better track of those interesting sites; and classroom20.com, which seems to contain lots of practical information for taking on new technology projects. I checked out comparisons between blogs and wikis, because that’s something I’ve been wondering about. The advice: try both. OK!
    Sarah

• mmaloy

I read the article The Trouble with Mr. Bighead, and unfortunately for the author, the views of technology in the classroom do not seem to be favorable. While technology will and can never replace the teacher as far as I am concerned, I do feel that technology in the classroom can enhance education. It provides a medium for the students to be engaged in a “familiar” way for the purpose of obtaining information or producing something through the use of technology. I am a technology-reluctant educator but simply for lack of knowledge. I am wondering if that’s the problem with the author?

• suesi08

Wow, this is a little like the wonder of staring up at an airplane in the sky. How can this be? What amazing technology, a different kind of flying through the world….
    In “Kevin’s Meandering Mind”, two ever changing eyeballs and a mouth moved in syncopation, like a wacky nursery school round, in images rather than song, with a poem below it. A fun model for kids to imitate …
    The “two teachers writing” the SOL (slice of life) topics ranged from adoption to the circle of parenting between one’s mom and one’s kids, and crying with one’s fourth graders over a book…
    “Spinning a Learning Web” took me to drama girl’s flickr, complete with a beautiful knocker from Notre Dame, and her blog’s “following” took me to a store which sells ONE ITEM each day, jeez louise! and Yasemin who was born 7 months ago, and her POV journal told me her “Mum” clapped when she farted at 2:35….
    Browsing through the sites is fun, but it also gives me a serious ADD moment.
    Classroom 2.0 looked really useful, but lots of techno how-tos that will take more time…
    WoW…what a world, and a new language.
    The possibilites for new “genres” and communication across the world is amazing.
    I say, “geez, how will I find the time?”, but then I think about julia cameron’s The Right to Write, and I know if there is a will, there is a way.
    Susan